By Morteza Naghavi (auth.), Morteza Naghavi (eds.)
Despite contemporary advances within the analysis and therapy of symptomatic atherosclerosis, to be had conventional screening tools for early detection and therapy of asymptomatic coronary artery illness are grossly inadequate and fail to spot nearly all of sufferers ahead of the onset of a life-threatening occasion. In Asymptomatic Atherosclerosis: Pathophysiology, Detection and therapy, Dr. Morteza Naghavi and top professionals from the Society for middle assault Prevention and Eradication (SHAPE) current a brand new paradigm for the screening and first prevention of asymptomatic atherosclerosis.
The textual content specializes in exact, but underutilized, measures of subclinical atherosclerosis, particularly coronary artery calcium scanning and carotid intima-media thickness size. The authors introduce a accomplished method of settling on the susceptible sufferers (asymptomatic members liable to a close to destiny opposed event). extra chapters talk about destiny instructions in the direction of containing the epidemic of atherosclerotic heart problems utilizing cutting edge suggestions equivalent to preemptive interventional cures (bioabsorbable stents) for stabilization of susceptible atherosclerotic plaques, mass unconditional Polypill remedy for population-based threat relief, and eventually vaccination recommendations to avoid the improvement of atherosclerosis.
Up-to-date and authoritative, Asymptomatic Atherosclerosis: Pathophysiology, Detection, and therapy is a must have for any heart specialist or basic care health professional who needs to perform sleek preventive cardiology and deal with the expanding variety of asymptomatic atherosclerotic patients.
• Outlines extra exact measures of chance (coronary artery calcium and carotid intima-media thickness) than conventional probability components (total ldl cholesterol, cholesterol, HDL cholesterol)
• provides new multipronged suggestions to help within the early detection and therapy of excessive chance asymptomatic patients
Read Online or Download Asymptomatic Atherosclerosis: Pathophysiology, Detection and Treatment PDF
Best medicine books
In 1918, a deadly disease swept internationally nearly unexpectedly, killing fit teens in addition to weak babies and the aged. Hospitals and morgues have been quick crushed; in Philadelphia, 4,597 humans died in a single week on my own and our bodies piled up at the streets to be carted off to mass graves.
Paul Farmer has battled AIDS in rural Haiti and lethal traces of drug-resistant tuberculosis within the slums of Peru. A physician-anthropologist with greater than fifteen years within the box, Farmer writes from front strains of the struggle opposed to those smooth plagues and exhibits why, much more than these of background, they aim the bad.
The crucial case spouse to First relief for the® USMLE Step 1
400 high-yield situations
First Aid™ instances for the USMLE Step 1 positive factors four hundred well-illustrated instances that will help you relate uncomplicated technology recommendations to scientific events. each one case comprises drawings or medical photos with Q&As that strengthen key suggestions. Chapters are keyed to Tao Le's First reduction for the USMLE Step 1 permitting you to concurrently research situations and high-yield facts.
Content that spans the full exam:
basic ideas, Behavioral technology, Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, bankruptcy four. Pharmacology, Organ structures, Cardiovascular approach, Endocrine process, Gastrointestinal approach, Hematology and Oncology, Musculoskeletal approach and Connective Tissue, Neurology and Psychiatry, Renal process, Reproductive procedure, breathing System.
This atlas attracts on a multidisciplinary method of offer a accomplished assessment on endocrine issues of the top and neck, with specific emphasis at the position of imaging and image-guided systems. the 1st part discusses the fundamental features of the imaging tools and different suggestions used for evaluate and analysis.
- Anaesthesia, Pain, Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine — A.P.I.C.E.: Proceedings of the 11th Postgraduate Course in Critical Care Medicine Trieste, Italy — November 11–16, 1996
- Screening and Preventive Diagnosis with Radiological Imaging (Medical Radiology Diagnostic Imaging)
- Difficult Conditions in Laparoscopic Urologic Surgery
- Methodologic challenges in chronic disease population research
- Cases in Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (4th Edition)
- Lung Cancer Vol 1: Molecular Pathology Methods and Reviews (Methods in Molecular Medicine)
Additional info for Asymptomatic Atherosclerosis: Pathophysiology, Detection and Treatment
22. Mann J, Davies MJ. Mechanisms of progression in native coronary artery disease: role of healed plaque disruption. Heart. 1999;82:265–268. 23. Burke AP, Farb A, Malcom GT, et al. Coronary risk factors and plaque morphology in men with coronary disease who died suddenly. N Engl J Med. 1997;336:1276–1282. 34 Naghavi and Falk 24. Goldstein JA, Demetriou D, Grines CL, et al. Multiple complex coronary plaques in patients with acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med. 2000;343:915–922. 25. Nissen SE.
We propose a classification for clinical as well as pathological evaluation of vulnerable plaques. (2) Vulnerable plaques are not the only culprit factors for the development of acute coronary syndromes, myocardial infarction, From: Asymptomatic Atherosclerosis: Pathophysiology, Detection and Treatment Edited by: M. 1007/978-1-60327-179-0_2 © Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2010 13 14 Naghavi and Falk and sudden cardiac death. Vulnerable blood (prone to thrombosis) and vulnerable myocardium (prone to fatal arrhythmia) play an important role in the outcome.
Possible intravascular diagnostic techniques [34, 35] include thermography (measurement of plaque temperature) [36, 37], contrast-enhanced (CE) MRI [38, 39], fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography [33, 40], and immunoscintigraphy . It has been shown that optical coherence tomography reflects the macrophage content of the fibrous cap . Noninvasive options include MRI with superparamagnetic iron oxide [35, 36] and gadolinium fluorine compounds [43–45]. A Thin Cap With a Large Lipid Core These plaques have a cap thickness of <100 mm and a lipid core accounting for >40% of the plaque’s total volume .
Asymptomatic Atherosclerosis: Pathophysiology, Detection and Treatment by Morteza Naghavi (auth.), Morteza Naghavi (eds.)